About Me

I am a citizen of the world. I believe every culture adds meaning and power to everything they do as it contributes to our world's development. I was born and raised in Colombia, South America. I began to study and develop as a filmmaker in Madrid, Spain and continued to grow as a professional in the United States. I believe filmmaking is not a job, but a life style that triggers passion and gives meaning to my life and the life of others. I am a versatile filmmaker for I believe my craft is not only one of the most beautiful art forms humanity provides to the world, but also it is a mass influence business that changes every day. It is intriguing for me how this business impacts the world's economy and how it moves across multiple platforms: the big screen, TV, and the internet. Thus, I contribute to filmmaking in the creative aspect as a director, but also in the business aspect as a producer. Ultimately, this is my goal: I am here to network and get to know you, work with you, and build a better world through our craft.

Friday, February 10, 2012

The Modern Independents



While watching the independent film, The Deposition, I came realize good films need to have three important elements: a great story, powerful media (visuals, sounds, and music), and great actors. Sure, you will probably want to add more or subtract a little to this statement; however, here are my reasons why I think this is true.
First, the story has always been the main element and reason in creating a narrative film. You can’t make a good narrative film if you don’t tell something worthy of your audience’s time.
Second, we have to accept that the Internet, Hollywood, video games, and music videos have turned this generation into a group of intolerant people toward bad quality and inexpensive-looking products. I am sorry, but even if you make a film with great actors and an excellent story, mainstream audiences will never value your film as much as they should. They want to be wowed and to be entertained. Yet, this doesn’t mean you can’t create a good movie only with good actors and a great story. It just means that if you add powerful media to your project audiences will respect it more.
Third, actors represent the story’s characters, but they also represent humanity. You are talking to creatures who will be watching your film that know exactly how anger, happiness, loneliness, despair, and love feel like. Some of them have their different points of view about these, but in reality we all go through these emotions and life situations. Therefore, if your movie has actors who cannot perceive, absorb, and react to on-screen situations, which in the real world would be obvious, you will lose the audience very quickly. They will probably not step out of the theater or shut down the computer as it is with a bad story, but you will have a zombie watching your film instead of an emotional and living participant. 

Now, what does this have to do with The Deposition? Simple, I believe this movie has a great story and outstanding media. However, the performance is somewhat inaccurate in many parts of the film. There is not enough anguish, dread, and hate in the story. The story is about an interracial couple that soon, after falling in love and marrying, suffer the consequences of a terrible accident. The survivor, the man, is then accused of murder, but his memory loss impedes him to argue against their town accusations. As he struggles to turn around his fate while still surviving the town’s hatred spree, he quickly learns that the man who caused the riot against his incriminations lied about everything. Adam sets out to kill his antagonist for revenge.
In my opinion, when you deal with racism, murder, and social intolerance in a story, the film needs to feel as if the main character has no escape, no hope, and no absolution. You need to feel that destructive powerful energy, not only at a psychological level for the main character, but also between him and other characters. I believe this movie-lacked tension and lost credibility given to its actors. They were not terrible, but they were not captivating, and films like this need to be captivating. However, the story, soundtrack, cinematography, sound, and music in the movie where excellent.  I recommend this film to new filmmakers so they can see clearly what works and doesn’t work in a film. Overall, I believe “The Deposition is a good film, and I recommend this film to be a exemplary beacon for today’s arising filmmakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment